Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Sometimes, you have to say "what the **** "

So Risky Business may not have been Oscar-worthy, and the young Tom Cruise may have turned into a world-class flake, but the movie did leave us with something much more memorable than Joel dancing around in his tighty-whities..........the above quote was hammered home throughout the flick by the antagonist friend, Miles, and finally accepted by our tragic hero, Joel. And it was applicable to me this morning.



So there I was yesterday evening, standing on my back patio, noticing something strange. It wasn't hot. It wasn't humid. The gentle breeze was left-to-right -- a North wind? Heck, it was almost cool. Well, that may be a stretch, but you know what I mean.



Thoughts of a 25 mile morning ride started forming in my head......naturally, I first went through all the reasons to not do it.....none of my group can make it; have to wait until about 6:30 for enough light if I'm alone; With proper cool-down/stretching/shower I won't be able to make it to the office until about 9:00, blah, blah, blah.



So, after taking all of that into consideration, I said to myself, sometimes, you have to say "what the f***."



What an outstanding ride. Not necessarily from a performance standpoint. Yeah, I hammered out a half dozen sprint intervals, and ramped it up to about 26mph in one final near passout dash (that was a damn fast dog!)....but the best part was the, dare I say "crisp air", light-to-no traffic, curious cows, near collision with with a Snowy Egret (big white "cowbird"). And, yes, I made it into the office at a reasonable time, and was able to hit the ground running, so to speak.



As I completed the rural loop portion of the ride, and approached the city limits, the morning hustle-bustle was in full swing. As I navigated my way home, I began thinking how cool it would be to make this a regular part of my week. All I need is a clip-on light so I can get a little bit earlier start, and maybe keep pressuring the guys in my riding group to join in.



Then again, by next week, we'll probably have 88 degree / 90% humidity steam-bath conditions by 7:00 AM. Regardless, I definitely made the right decision this morning. Mornings like this in late July do not come around all that often. Remember, folks, sometimes you have to just hit the "pause button" on everything else that is goin on around you. Sometimes, you have to say "what the f***!"



Later.

No comments: